Table of Content
- What are Barber Pole cigars?
- History of Barber Pole cigars
- The different types of Barber Pole cigars
- Long filler Barber Poles
- Short filler Barber Poles
- What makes a Barber Pole cigar good?
- Where to buy Barber Poles?
- How to store Barber Pole cigars?
- How to enjoy a Barber Pole cigar?
- Selecting the right cutter
- Cutting the cigar in the right place
- Lighting the cigar in the right way
- Smoking the cigar in the right way
- Extinguishing the cigar in the right way
- Key Takeaways
Barber Pole cigars have gained popularity in recent years for their unique appearance and flavor profile. These cigars feature two or more wrappers twisted together, creating a visually striking design reminiscent of a classic barbershop pole. But are Barber Pole cigars actually good? In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of these premium cigars, from their history and different types to where to buy them and how to store and enjoy them.
Whether you’re a seasoned cigar aficionado or new to the world of cigars, understanding what makes a Barber Pole cigar good can help you make an informed choice when selecting your next smoke. So let’s dive in and discover the fascinating world of Barber Pole cigars!
What are Barber Pole cigars?
Barber Pole cigars are a unique type of cigar that feature two or more wrappers twisted together in a spiral pattern. This creates a visually striking design that resembles the iconic barber pole found outside barbershops. The wrappers used for Barber Pole cigars can be different colors, typically alternating between light and dark shades. This unique design adds an extra layer of complexity to the smoking experience.
Barber Pole cigars are typically handmade and come in various sizes and shapes, including toro, robusto, and Churchill. They are made using a combination of long filler or short filler tobaccos, which can greatly influence the flavor and smoking characteristics of the cigar.
These cigars are known for their complex flavor profiles, as the combination of different wrappers can create a harmonious blend of tastes. The flavors can range from earthy and spicy to creamy and sweet, offering a unique and enjoyable smoking experience for cigar enthusiasts.
Now that we know what Barber Pole cigars are, let’s explore their fascinating history and how they have evolved over time.
History of Barber Pole cigars
The origins of Barber Pole cigars can be traced back to the early days of cigar-making. The use of multiple wrappers in a spiral pattern was initially a practical solution to conceal any imperfections or blemishes in the tobacco leaves. By twisting different wrappers together, cigar makers could create visually appealing cigars that would still provide a satisfying smoking experience.
The name “Barber Pole” is believed to have originated from the resemblance between the twisted wrappers and the iconic red and white striped poles outside barbershops. These poles were historically used to signify that the establishment offered both shaving and bloodletting services, as barbers were often the go-to individuals for medical procedures in addition to haircuts.
Over time, the Barber Pole cigar became associated with elegance and sophistication, capturing the attention of cigar enthusiasts around the world. Today, Barber Pole cigars are considered a premium product, sought after by those who appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship involved in their creation.
Now that we have explored the history of Barber Pole cigars, let’s delve into the different types of Barber Pole cigars available in the market today.
The different types of Barber Pole cigars
Barber Pole cigars come in various types and sizes, each offering a unique smoking experience. Here are the main types of Barber Pole cigars available:
- Long filler Barber Poles: These cigars are made using long filler tobaccos, which consist of whole tobacco leaves. The long filler provides a smoother and more consistent burn, allowing the flavors to develop gradually throughout the smoking experience.
- Short filler Barber Poles: Short filler cigars are made using smaller tobacco pieces, resulting in a slightly different smoking experience. These cigars are often more affordable and provide a quicker burn.
- Cigarillos: Cigarillos are small, thin cigars that are perfect for a quick smoke. They offer a concentrated burst of flavor and are ideal for those who prefer a shorter smoking session.
The choice between these types of Barber Pole cigars ultimately depends on your personal preferences and the time you have available for a smoking session. Long filler Barber Poles are typically favored by cigar enthusiasts looking for a more nuanced and complex smoking experience, while short filler cigars and cigarillos offer a convenient option for a quick smoke on the go.
Now that we have covered the different types of Barber Pole cigars, let’s move on to the next section, where we will explore what makes a Barber Pole cigar good.
What makes a Barber Pole cigar good?
When it comes to determining whether a Barber Pole cigar is good or not, several factors come into play. Here are some key aspects to consider:
- Construction: A good Barber Pole cigar should be well-constructed, with an even and firm roll. The wrappers should be applied smoothly and without any visible flaws or tears. A properly constructed cigar ensures an optimal draw and burn, allowing you to fully enjoy the flavors.
- Flavor: The flavor profile of a Barber Pole cigar can vary depending on the combination of wrappers and the blend of tobaccos used. A good Barber Pole cigar will offer a harmonious blend of flavors, with each wrapper contributing its unique characteristics. The flavors should be well-balanced and enjoyable throughout the smoking experience.
- Burn: A good Barber Pole cigar should have an even burn, with the ash holding firm and not flaking off excessively. Uneven burning can be an indication of poor construction or improper blending of tobaccos. A consistent burn allows the flavors to develop properly and ensures a satisfying smoking experience.
- Aroma: The aroma of a Barber Pole cigar can greatly enhance the overall experience. A good Barber Pole cigar will emit a pleasant and inviting aroma, adding to the enjoyment of the smoking session. The aroma should be aromatic and enticing, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the sensory experience.
- Draw: The draw of a Barber Pole cigar refers to the ease with which you can inhale the smoke. A good Barber Pole cigar will have a smooth and effortless draw, allowing you to fully appreciate the flavors and aromas. A tight draw can make the smoking experience less enjoyable, as it requires more effort to pull in the smoke.
Ultimately, what makes a Barber Pole cigar good is a combination of these factors, along with personal preferences. Each cigar enthusiast may have different tastes and preferences when it comes to flavor, strength, and smoking characteristics. It’s important to explore different brands and blends to find the Barber Pole cigars that suit your individual palate.
Now that we have discussed what makes a Barber Pole cigar good, let’s move on to the next section, where we will explore where to buy Barber Pole cigars.
Where to buy Barber Poles?
If you’re interested in purchasing Barber Pole cigars, there are several options available to you. Here are some of the best places to buy Barber Pole cigars:
- Local cigar shops: Check out your local cigar shops or tobacconists. These establishments often carry a variety of cigars, including Barber Poles. The advantage of buying from a local shop is that you can see and feel the cigars in person, and the staff can provide recommendations based on your preferences.
- Online retailers: There are many online retailers that specialize in selling cigars. Websites like Cigars International and Famous Smoke Shop offer a wide selection of Barber Pole cigars from various brands. Online shopping allows you to browse a larger inventory and often offers competitive pricing.
- Cigar auctions: If you’re looking for rare or limited-edition Barber Pole cigars, cigar auctions can be a great option. Websites like CigarBid and Cigar Auctioneer regularly feature auctions where you can bid on unique cigar offerings.
When purchasing Barber Pole cigars, it’s important to buy from reputable sources to ensure the authenticity and quality of the cigars. Look for retailers with positive customer reviews and a good reputation within the cigar community. Additionally, consider the shipping policies and any additional costs associated with online purchases.
Now that you know where to buy Barber Pole cigars, let’s move on to the next section, where we will explore how to properly store these cigars to maintain their freshness and flavor.
How to store Barber Pole cigars?
Proper storage is essential to maintain the freshness, flavor, and quality of your Barber Pole cigars. Cigars are sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity, so it’s important to create an ideal environment to preserve their condition. Here are some guidelines for storing Barber Pole cigars:
- Humidity: Maintain a relative humidity (RH) level of around 65-70% in your cigar storage. Too much humidity can cause the cigars to become moldy, while too little can dry them out and affect their smoking characteristics. Use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity levels and a humidifier to add moisture when needed.
- Temperature: Keep the temperature of your cigar storage between 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit (20-22 degrees Celsius). Extreme temperatures can damage the tobacco and cause the cigars to lose their flavor and aroma. Avoid storing cigars in areas prone to temperature fluctuations, such as near windows or heating vents.
- Humidor: Invest in a quality humidor to store your Barber Pole cigars. A humidor is a specially designed box or container that helps regulate humidity and temperature. Make sure the humidor is properly seasoned before storing your cigars to ensure optimal conditions. Additionally, consider the size of the humidor based on your collection and future cigar purchases.
- Separate flavors: If you have a variety of Barber Pole cigars with different flavors, it’s best to store them separately or use dividers within the humidor. This prevents the flavors from blending together and allows you to enjoy each cigar’s unique characteristics.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Keep your cigar storage away from direct sunlight, as UV rays can damage the tobacco and affect the overall quality of the cigars. Store them in a cool, dark place to maintain their freshness.
- Rotate cigars: If you have a large collection of Barber Pole cigars, it’s a good idea to rotate them occasionally. This prevents any cigars from being neglected and ensures they all receive equal exposure to the ideal storage conditions.
By following these storage guidelines, you can preserve the quality and flavor of your Barber Pole cigars, ensuring an enjoyable smoking experience every time. Now that you know how to store your cigars, let’s move on to the next section, where we will explore how to properly enjoy a Barber Pole cigar.
How to enjoy a Barber Pole cigar?
Now that you have your Barber Pole cigars in hand, it’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the smoking experience. Here are some tips on how to properly enjoy a Barber Pole cigar:
- Selecting the right cutter: Before you light up your Barber Pole cigar, you need to cut off the cap. There are various types of cigar cutters available, including guillotine cutters, punch cutters, and V-cutters. Choose the cutter that you are most comfortable with and make a clean, precise cut just above the shoulder of the cigar.
- Cutting the cigar in the right place: When cutting your Barber Pole cigar, make sure to cut just above the shoulder. This ensures that the cap is removed, allowing for a smooth draw. Avoid cutting too much of the cigar, as this can cause the wrapper to unravel.
- Lighting the cigar in the right way: To light your Barber Pole cigar, use a butane torch or wooden matches. Avoid using regular lighters, as they can impart unwanted flavors to the cigar. Hold the flame close to the foot of the cigar and rotate it slowly to evenly toast the tobacco. Once the foot is evenly toasted, take slow and gentle puffs to fully ignite the cigar.
- Smoking the cigar in the right way: When smoking your Barber Pole cigar, take slow and steady puffs to fully savor the flavors. Avoid inhaling the smoke into your lungs, as cigars are meant to be enjoyed by gently drawing the smoke into your mouth and exhaling it. Take your time and allow the flavors to develop as you progress through the cigar.
- Extinguishing the cigar in the right way: If you need to take a break from smoking your Barber Pole cigar, it’s important to properly extinguish it to preserve its freshness. Simply let the cigar rest in the ashtray and allow it to go out on its own. Avoid crushing or forcefully extinguishing the cigar, as this can release unpleasant odors.
Remember, the enjoyment of a Barber Pole cigar is a personal experience, and everyone may have different preferences when it comes to cutting, lighting, and smoking. Experiment with different techniques and find what works best for you.
Now that you know how to properly enjoy a Barber Pole cigar, let’s move on to the key takeaways from this article.
Barber Pole cigars are a unique and visually striking type of cigar that feature two or more wrappers twisted together in a spiral pattern. They offer a complex flavor profile and are available in various types, including long filler Barber Poles, short filler Barber Poles, and cigarillos.
When determining whether a Barber Pole cigar is good, it’s important to consider factors such as construction, flavor, burn, aroma, and draw. Each individual may have different preferences when it comes to these aspects, so exploring different brands and blends is key to finding the right Barber Pole cigar for you.
When purchasing Barber Pole cigars, you can buy them from local cigar shops, online retailers, or even cigar auctions. It’s important to buy from reputable sources to ensure the authenticity and quality of the cigars.
Proper storage is essential to maintain the freshness and flavor of Barber Pole cigars. Investing in a quality humidor and maintaining the right humidity and temperature levels will help preserve the cigars’ condition.
To fully enjoy a Barber Pole cigar, make sure to select the right cutter, cut the cigar above the shoulder, light it using a butane torch or wooden matches, smoke it by taking slow and steady puffs, and extinguish it by letting it go out on its own.
Remember, the enjoyment of a Barber Pole cigar is a personal experience, and it’s important to explore different techniques and find what works best for you.
Now that you have a better understanding of Barber Pole cigars, you’re ready to embark on your own journey of exploring and enjoying these unique and visually captivating cigars.
Continue reading: [Article Title]
In conclusion, Barber Pole cigars offer a unique and visually striking smoking experience. With their twisted wrappers and complex flavor profiles, they have become a favorite among cigar enthusiasts. Whether you prefer a long filler Barber Pole for a nuanced and gradual smoking experience or a short filler Barber Pole for a quick and affordable option, there is a Barber Pole cigar for every preference.
When choosing a Barber Pole cigar, consider factors such as construction, flavor, burn, aroma, and draw. Each individual may have different preferences, so it’s important to explore different brands and blends to find the perfect match for your taste.
When purchasing Barber Pole cigars, look for reputable retailers, whether it’s a local cigar shop, an online retailer, or a cigar auction. Ensure that the cigars are stored properly in a humidor to maintain their freshness and flavor.
To fully enjoy a Barber Pole cigar, follow proper cutting, lighting, and smoking techniques. Experiment with different methods to find what works best for you.
Now that you have a better understanding of Barber Pole cigars, it’s time to embark on your own journey of exploring these unique and visually captivating cigars. Whether you’re a seasoned cigar aficionado or new to the world of cigars, Barber Pole cigars are sure to offer an enjoyable and memorable smoking experience.
Continue reading: [Article Title]