Which End of Cigar Do You Puff?
Smoking a cigar is a timeless pastime enjoyed by many cigar enthusiasts. Whether you’re a seasoned aficionado or just starting to explore the world of cigars, you may have wondered which end of a cigar you should puff on. Let’s dive into this topic and learn more about the different parts of a cigar and how to properly enjoy your smoking experience.
Table of Contents
Parts of a Cigar
Before we discuss which end of a cigar to puff, let’s familiarize ourselves with the different parts of a cigar:
- Wrapper: The outermost layer of the cigar, made from tobacco leaves. It gives the cigar its appearance and also contributes to its flavor.
- Binder: The layer beneath the wrapper that holds the filler tobacco in place.
- Filler: The innermost part of the cigar, made from a blend of tobacco leaves. It determines the cigar’s strength and flavor.
- Cap: The closed end of the cigar that you cut or bite off to expose the filler tobacco.
- Foot: The open end of the cigar that you light.
Which End to Puff
When it comes to puffing on a cigar, you should always puff on the open end or the foot. The foot is the end that you light, and it allows the smoke to travel through the cigar and out of the open end. Puffing on the closed end or the cap can cause the cigar to unravel or become damaged, resulting in a less enjoyable smoking experience.
It’s important to note that the cap is meant to be removed before smoking. You can use a cigar cutter or your teeth to cut off the cap, exposing the filler tobacco. Once the cap is removed, you can puff on the foot and savor the flavors and aromas of the cigar.
How to Smoke a Cigar
Now that you know which end of a cigar to puff on, let’s go over the steps to properly smoke a cigar:
- Inspect the cigar: Examine the cigar for any visible flaws or damage.
- Cut the cap: Use a cigar cutter or your teeth to cut off the cap of the cigar.
- Toast the foot: Hold the foot of the cigar above the flame without touching it, and rotate it to evenly heat the tobacco.
- Light the cigar: Once the foot is toasted, place the cigar in your mouth and draw in the flame while continuing to rotate the cigar.
- Puff and enjoy: Once the cigar is lit, puff on the foot to draw in the smoke. Take slow and steady puffs, allowing the smoke to linger in your mouth before exhaling.
Cigar Smoking Tips
To enhance your cigar smoking experience, consider the following tips:
- Choose the right cigar: Select a cigar that suits your taste preferences and smoking experience level.
- Store cigars properly: Keep your cigars in a humidor to maintain the ideal humidity and temperature.
- Take your time: Cigar smoking is a leisurely activity, so take your time to savor the flavors and aromas.
- Pair with a beverage: Pair your cigar with a drink that complements its flavors, such as whiskey or coffee.
- Respect others: Be mindful of those around you when smoking a cigar, as the smoke can be bothersome to non-smokers.
Can you puff on both ends of a cigar?
No, you should only puff on the open end or the foot of a cigar. Puffing on the closed end or the cap can damage the cigar and affect the smoking experience.
Why do you only smoke a cigar halfway?
Many cigar smokers choose to only smoke a cigar halfway to avoid the bitter and harsh flavors that can develop towards the end. This allows them to fully enjoy the flavors and aromas of the cigar without any unpleasant aftertaste.
For more information on why you only smoke a cigar halfway, check out this article.
Knowing which end of a cigar to puff on is essential for a satisfying smoking experience. Always remember to puff on the open end or the foot of the cigar, and remove the cap before smoking. By following these guidelines and taking your time to savor the flavors and aromas, you can fully enjoy the art of cigar smoking.